The subject of happiness has been occupying what little brain space I have, right now. Here’s what I think about it, today.
- Be in the moment. It’s so tempting to give in to the anxiety of bills, status, obligations. Take this moment for everything it is and exist in it. Right here and now.
- Be who you are now. Or better. It’s irrelevant who we thought we were or the people we thought we’d become and haven’t. Or have.
- Envy is corrosive. We’re constantly assaulted by other people’s show reels. It makes me feel grumpy because I want to be skiing, on the beach, hanging out with my favourite people. Then I realise I AM with my favourite people, they’re alive and they’re right here or at least close by. I love them and I feel an incredible gratitude for their love. Love is everything. Holidays are fun but love is everything.
- On love, what about your friends? The ones who climb in their car at silly o’clock and drive over to drag you out for a wine or a run, depending what sort of friends they are and what’s going to work to get you out of your funk. The friends who’d trek down the sides of the bloody Grand Canyon to walk alongside you while you kick stones and grumble about the misdeeds foisted upon you. The ones who’ll kick stones and grumble with you, then hug you and tell you in the kindest most supportive kind of way that it’s time to end the pity party and get on with your bloody life because had you noticed AT THIS MOMENT – WE ARE IN THE GRAND CANYON. Together. Yes?
- It is totally pointless to live in the past. Whether it’s hanging onto past achievements, grudges or your old holey underpants. We really are only as good as we are now. Who gives a damn what you were? It’s what we are now that counts.
- The future will be the future. We can do all we can to make it a good one, but we really only truly have this moment in time. Financial security, smart planning, foresight yes they all help us to create a pathway to a secure future, which may or may not be the same as a happy future. We have no control, only influence.
- Control is a scary thing. Get real, we can’t really control anything very much at all in life, except our own attitude. So let’s all start there, shall we? Which leads me onto blame. It’s super easy to blame other people for our woes. Refer to previous point.
- Give generously, deliver huge value to other people. There’s nothing to be lost by generosity in spirit and everything to be gained.
- Love, did I mention love? Oh, right, yes. Love wins every time.
- Over and out.