People who toss their briefcases to follow their calling intrigue me, what’s the catalyst for the transition, how do they fund themselves, what propels them forward into an unknown outcome?
At the recent launch for Synthesis Organics, I had a chat with the Founder, Theme Rains, who threw in her legal briefs to create an organic cosmetics business.
When we met, we first did a little yoga on the 36th Floor of the Shangri-La overlooking the sun rising over the Heads, in preparation for balancing our chakras over an organic fruit stick and a vegan bliss ball. You know, as you do.
You too, can balance your chakras with a gorgeous giveaway later in this post, but until then, let’s get down and dirty with the nosy questions:
SL: Theme, you’re a South African-born woman, raised in part by a medicine woman. You studied law at a Sydney University and then threw in academia to create organic cosmetics. When did you decide you had no choice but to give into your creativity?
TR: It was while visiting Cuba in 1997 when I had what I call my ‘epiphany’ moment.
SL: How long did the transition take?
TR: It took a full year before I fully made the switch. During this year at one point I ‘forgot’ about the yearning for a while as I burnt the candle at both ends with my Law Degree and my events business which required me to be out late most nights. But as my health started to fail, the yearning for another way of being returned, and soon after I made the switch – which was actually supposed to just be a 6-month break, but that ended up carrying me away into a whole new life.
SL: How did you finance yourself during the change?
TR: While I was studying Law, I was also running an Events business with two girlfriends. I committed to continuing this business for the transition period of about a year. I also took additional work as a Production Assistant on music film clips and saved my pay.
So when I took the six-month break at the end of my third year of Law School, I had enough savings to carry me through the six months and commence further studies. Gracefully, I was soon earning enough to get by and keep following my growing love and passion for Conscious Living. It was only after a further decade of studying, healing and working within the Healing Arts that I set up my own business. I am so grateful for all that came together and allowed me to merge my creativity and love of the healing arts with a profit for purpose business.
SL: Have you ever regretted the decision?
TR: No regrets… at the time it all seemed ‘obvious’ to me to move that way and so it didn’t seem like there was ever actually a decision. Of course, I was still very young and didn’t have responsibilities or other commitment which would have made the decision harder I am sure.
Retrospectively, the most challenging aspect was giving up financial and social security which come from working within a well-entrenched profession.
SL: What are your top 3 simple feel good factor tips – for right now?
- Create moments through the day to re-connect. Try it now – for 30 seconds, stop everything you are doing, close your eyes, place both hands over your heart and take 3 deep breaths.
- Walk barefoot for at least 10 minutes every day on the earth; grass, sand, rocks. This effective practice discharges much of the electrical energy build up that bombards us all from wifi and EMF, and gives our body a chance to re-balance.
- Drink enough fresh (properly filtered) water to keep you hydrated – it’s a super Feel Good factor!
Now, if your chakras need some balancing with a Synthesis Organics Chakra Balance Aromatherapy Roll-On like the ones in the picture, here’s what you need to do to be in the draw to win one:
- Sign up to saralucas.com.au below. As a bonus you’ll also receive the e-guide, Twelve Tips for Taming the Black Dog, a curation of personal tips for mental wellbeing
- Follow or friend me on Facebook here
- Like the Synthesis Organics Facebook page, or follow them on Instagram
Terms and Conditions:
- Entries must follow all of the steps above to be eligible
- Entries open 1 p.m. 15.03.16 and close 5 p.m. 17.03.16 AEST
- This competition is a game of chance – winner will be drawn using random number generation
- One entry is permitted per person
- The winner will receive a Synthesis Organics, Chakra Balance Aromatherapy Roll On as described at the link.
- Prize is offered by Synthesis Organics and cannot be substituted.
- Winners will be notified on my Facebook profile within 24 hours of competition close and will have 48 hours to make contact to claim or a new winner will be drawn.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed by or associated with Facebook.