This week you’ve been telling me all sorts of really mixed up stuff that goes on in your heads. We share it all back because we’re friendly like that, and then you all say, “phew, it’s not just me who feels and thinks this,” and we all feel more connected and happier, and we all live happy ever after in our community.
You’re telling me you’re lying awake at night and why insomnia is your best friend:
It is not due to actual squawking, night-feeding, nappy poo-ing babies, most of you have passed that stage. Remember those days when you had to feed them, sing “your mummy/daddy loves you, yes she/he does” for the twelfth-ty billionth time since breakfast, change their nappies and crawl back to bed, only to lie awake for the rest of the night wondering if you had actually put bubba back in the cot or if they were still rolling around kicking on the change table, but you were so rooted you couldn’t get up to check, and then you needed to go to the loo but you lay there in denial instead and then you couldn’t sleep because you needed to wee, and then it was 4 am and they were bloody well crying for more milk again, and so it goes. Not that type of lying awake.
Nor is it the three o’clock livers you get when that third glass of wine seemed like a great idea at the time, because two is good and three is bad, and after three wines or more you lie awake watching the clock tick over for the rest of the night stewing on all the things that could go wrong in your great big, beautiful life, and how your teens are definitely RIGHT NOW climbing out of the window to sneak off to the tennis courts for nookie, and will get busted because they’re going to play their music too loud at 3.30am and someone will complain. Which actually really happened last summer on our beach holiday. Nookie with loud music? Pah! *Rookies.*
And then this:
- Am I going to end up a bag lady/man? – Yes, you might unless you get a grip of your moolah and figure out what’s going on with it.
- Menopause/manopause is looming, am I going to get fat/fatter, and will menopause/manopause contribute to (1) above? Yes, possibly if you keep eating chocolate, doing not enough exercise and having that third glass, like I do. Watch my shining example of how to grow an extra kilo with alarming efficiency.
- Am I still desirable? Can I still bust out the earth shattering moves in the sack without my wobbly bits slapping my lover around? There’s a pattern emerging here.
- Is my career peak coming to an end? Is it too late to live the life I had always imagined? Oh for the love of God is it 6am yet? Get up and do something useful and stop stewing.
- Will my kids do drugs? Are they already doing drugs? I really sincerely hope not, drugs fuck with your life. Period.
- Am I going to be left supporting ageing parents as soon as my kids leave home? Yes most likely, we are the sandwich generation. I know, right? Don’t worry we’re coming to that in a later story.
- Where did my life go? It hasn’t gone anywhere, it’s right here which is why you are wide awake stewing. Get up and go out for a walk and some strong coffee.
There’s a lot to work to do in our own worlds in 2016 isn’t there, let along saving the world. We haven’t even started on Syria or indigenous poverty. We’re only just getting started……stay tuned.
What keeps you awake at night?